Thursday 13 September 2012

31 Day Challenge Day 13: Animal Print

Animal Print nails! To me animal print seems one of the best go to ways to do nail art. The classic leopard print can be done in ANY colour scheme and is super easy to stamp or freehand on. Zebra is another awesome animal print that instantly dresses up your nails.

Since I already did leopard print for blue nails here I was trying to think outside the box. Snakeskin? Did that here. Giraffe? Koala bear?! Hedgehogs? Ok so the last two don’t really have prints, but they're still animals. So then I got to thinking that maybe the animal doesn’t have to be real, imaginary creatures are still animals! That is how my dragon scale nails were born.

dragon scale nail art


I’m going to say right off the bat that I love these. They are so cool in real life, but sadly my camera did not want to co-operate so they don’t look quite as cool here as they really are. So please forgive me : )

dragon scale nail art
dragon scale nail art


When I was thinking about what colour my dragon would be I immediately thought of one of the last great dragons of Middle-Earth, Smaug, from The Hobbit. This dragon is red and has an orange glow to him.

image source: http://www.donatoart.com/middleearth/smaug.html
dragon scale nail art


I started off with one coat of China Glaze Adventure Red-y and then working one nail at a time while it was still wet I took a dotting tool and drew my scales into the polish. You have to work pretty quickly to get all the scales on your nail before the polish dries. Then I grabbed a sponge and piCture pOlish Demeter which I got from the lovely Katie of Harlow &Co., and sponged on randomly to give it a little burnt sparkle. Then I added China Glaze Riveting with a small nail art brush to the tips and in various scales.

dragon scale nail art
dragon scale nail art


Sorry about some of the weird angles, it was hard to get the scales to really show up! Not sure why this design was being so unfriendly with my camera. Ah well! I hope you get an idea of how awesome these were!

Do you think that I captured dragons scales in my animal print nails?! What is your favourite kind of animal print to do?

Head over to The Lacquerologist to see what animal print Emily has done today!

13 down, 18 to go. See you back here for flowers tomorrow : )

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I love how you drew in the scales; I never would have thought of that! Again your creativity is above and beyond!! Love it, girl!

    ReplyDelete

I abolutely love getting comments and truly appreciate and read everything you have to say! Every comment completely makes my day! That being said please be respectful and don’t leave any spam :)

If you have a blog you'd like me to check out email me at stephanie@sincerelystephanienails.com :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...